Agaratine, a natural toxin found in mushrooms, is destroyed by cooking.
Natural glycoalkaloid toxins concentrate in the skins of potatoes.
Harmful, harmless, or helpful? Raw mushrooms. I got an email from someone last year saying that Dr. Joel Fuhrman told his patients to stop eating raw mushrooms out of fear of a natural toxin in mushrooms called agaritine, which is essentially destroyed by cooking.
Now I get crazy emails all the time about doctors spouting all sorts of nonsense, but I have tremendous respect for Dr. Fuhrman, so I took it seriously enough to research the topic and what do you think I found?
Raw mushrooms: Harmful, harmless, or helpful?
Has Furhman just drank one too many of his blended salads, or is he really onto something? He’s right. Mushrooms have all sorts of amazing health benefits, but eat them cooked.
To see any graphs, charts, graphics, images, and quotes to which Dr. Greger may be referring watch the above video. This is just an approximation of the audio contributed by veganmontreal.
To help out on the site please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to post any ask-the-doctor type questions here in the comments section and I’d be happy to try to answer them. And check out theother “HHH” videos (Harmful, Harmless, or Helpful?) as well as these videos on mushrooms. Also, there are over a thousand subjects covered in the rest of my videos–please feel free to explore them as well!
DONATE TODAY and help keep NutritionFacts growing strong!Donate