Work With Us: Employment Opportunities
Interested in dedicating yourself to advancing a lifesaving cause? If none of the current positions are open or applicable, make sure you’re subscribed to get any new employment announcements.
Part-Time Web Developer
The Web Developer at NutritionFacts.org is responsible for day to day technical tasks including web development, maintenance, and administration of the NutritionFacts.org website and related properties. The Web Developer is currently a part-time position (roughly 25-30 hours a week) with the potential of becoming full time in the future. The candidate, upon hire, will work with the Technical Team, managed by the CTO, to assist in executing the technological vision for the organization and helps to further the company’s technological development. The ideal Web Developer candidate is passionate about evidence-based nutrition and has demonstrated success in the following areas: front and back-end web development, including PHP development, experience with build and automation systems, experience with WordPress, and working with non-technical staff on technical issues.
NutritionFacts.org is a completely remote non-profit whose mission is to improve public health by providing the latest in evidence-based nutrition and health research in an accessible format to enable the public to make informed dietary choices. The founder and Chief Science Officer of NutritionFacts.org, Dr. Michael Greger, is a founding member and Fellow of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. His recent book, How Not to Die, became an instant New York Times bestseller. He subsequently released a follow-up cookbook and is currently working on his next book—How Not to Diet.
As NutritionFacts.org is mostly represented as a website, this position is crucial to the success of the organization’s mission, bringing evidence-based nutrition to the public’s attention.
Role & Responsibilities
The Web Developer is a multi-disciplinary web developer with experience developing web applications and working with the latest technologies, as part of our Technical Team, to deliver a best-in-class user experience. They have a passion to solve hard technical problems with innovative solutions. This is a remote position, so the ability to maintain a consistent work schedule and ethic while working independently is important.
Engineering & Design
- Reads, writes, and understands documentation
- Designs and develops bespoke themes, systems, and plugins
- Tests and evaluates code
- WordPress Development, maintenance, and updates (Roots, Trellis, Bedrock Stack)
- Works with legacy systems to update them to modern specifications
- Researches and creates bespoke tools, as necessary, for staff to perform their jobs faster and easier
- Sets up and configures Development and Staging environments
- Updates web page copy and images, as needed
- Troubleshoots bugs and issues across various organizational products
- PHP Development, including frameworks like Laravel
- HTML/CSS Development, including template languages, like Blade/Twig
- Works with build systems (Yarn/BabelJS)
- Shows proficiency with Composer
- Experience working with automation systems, like Ansible to quickly replicate environments
- Vagrant/Docker Development
- Google Apps Script Development (preferred)
- Bot Development
- Bash Scripting
- Comfortable working with CLI-based tools
Research & Development
- Stays current on all development trends and updates
- Stays current on the best in social media and SEO practices
- Stays current on the latest applications and tools that can help further business objectives
Working with Others
- Explains complex systems in easy-to-understand terms
- Designs, creates, and performs demonstrations and presentations, as needed
- Works with vendors to test, implement, and troubleshoot systems
- Works with team to ensure that volunteers and users are using our materials appropriately as fits with our organizational goals
- Ensures staff members have the tools and resources they need to effectively perform their roles
- Works with staff on technical issues, including computer problems, application and website help, etc.
- Responds to Zendesk tickets and work with users/donors to find a resolution
- Superior written and verbal communication with the ability to formulate and articulate strategy and effectively drive consensus across the organization
- Knowledge of current trends
- Analyzes situations, evaluates alternatives, and implements solutions within standards, where applicable
- Acts as a resource to others to solve problems
- Exercises independent judgment. Work affords significant opportunity to act independently on assigned tasks
- Finds opportunities for automation through observation
- Background in object-oriented programming and development
- Highly motivated with a passion for helping people in need
- Experience working collaboratively with development teams
- Successful track record collaborating across multiple technical and non-technical teams such as Marketing, Media, and Human Resources.
Media and Events Director
Role and Responsibilities
The Media and Events Director at NutrtionFacts.org is responsible for developing an overarching marketing and publicity strategy for NutritionFacts.org and Dr. Greger, refining and ensuring consistent messaging across the organization, and managing Dr. Greger’s speaking tour and interviews. Detailed responsibilities are listed below. This is a remote position, so the ability to maintain a consistent work schedule and ethic while working independently is important.
The ideal Media and Events Director candidate will have a solid understanding of the lifestyle medicine media landscape with a desire to identify and engage with key influencers to grow NutritionFacts.org’s audience. They are passionate about evidence-based nutrition, and have demonstrated success in the following areas: securing press placements, executing strategic media plans, thinking outside the box to garner media attention, and are eager to network and continue building relationships across a wide range of media from print to blogs.
As NutritionFacts.org is mostly represented as a website, experience with branding a website, particularly in the lifestyle medicine/health field is preferred. The ideal candidate would also preferably have knowledge of Latin American markets and be fluent in Spanish as they will work closely with our Spanish Program Director to market our Spanish-language NutritionFacts.org site.
The Media and Events Director not only has to have the creativity and ambition to brainstorm marketing strategies and new ways to work with key influencers, but they also have to be able to meticulously organize and schedule an extensive speaking tour and interview schedule.
The Media and Events Director reports to the Program Director and works closely with the Social Media Director and Graphic Designer.
Marketing and Outreach
- Develop comprehensive marketing strategy that streamlines branding and messaging for NutritionFacts.org, Dr. Greger and How Not to Die
- Ensure communication strategy is consistent and reflects the organization’s strategic vision
- Refine core messaging to ensure organizational consistency in all aspects of communication
- Develop and maintain press materials
- Identify key influencers (such as bloggers and others with a social media presence) and cultivate relationships and engagement opportunities with them
- Maintain knowledge of changing trends and current events in media and lifestyle medicine/public health sectors
- Cultivate media contacts
- Craft press releases to distribute to media contacts
- Work with media relationships to build NutritionFacts.org outreach strategies for both our English and Spanish site
Speaking Event and Interview Coordination
- Manage all logistics of Dr. Greger’s upcoming 100+ city speaking tour
- Book and manage all of Dr. Greger’s travel
- Track travel reimbursement
- Coordinate book sales, AV requirements, and paperwork for speaking tour events
- Manage coordination between the publisher, external, and internal contacts
- Garner media attention for tour
- Manage all logistics of Dr. Greger’s interviews
- Review requests
- Schedule interviews
- Work with Social Media Director on interview promotion
- Genuine interest in media relations and growing NutritionFacts.org’s reach
- Ability to think outside the box and work creatively to strategize and implement new ways to bring NF to a larger audience
- Passionate and mission-driven
- Maintains a positive attitude in the face of challenges and last-minute changes
- Self-directed and approaches all work and tasks with high level of integrity
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Consistently demonstrates reliability in completing assignments on time, responding to communications efficiently and following up on detailed projects
- Meticulous attention to detail with demonstrated organizational skills
- Two years experience in communications
- Experience in the non-profit or lifestyle medicine field preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Experience with Latin American markets preferred
- Ability and desire to work with a remote team
- Ability to manage multiple projects and manage time effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Exquisite organizational skills, work ethic, and professionalism
Nutritionfacts.org strives to offer competitive nonprofit salaries and health benefits (beyond just the kale health plan :). Unfortunately, NutritionFacts.org is not able to sponsor work visa applications, so applicants for full-time staff positions have to be U.S. citizens or otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States. NutritionFacts.org is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.