Blood arsenic levels may be an accurate indicator of seafood intake.
Nota del Doctor
Check out these videos for more on toxic pollutants and fish:
Diet and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Fish and Diabetes
ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease): Fishing for Answers
How Long to Detox From Fish Before Pregnancy?
Also check out my sequel video on biomarkers for fish intake: Hair Testing for Mercury.
For more context, see my associated blog post: Mercury Testing Recommended Before Pregnancy.
Update: I did a deep-dive into the arsenic issue in summer 2017. Here are the 13 videos in that series:
- Where Does the Arsenic in Chicken Come From?
- Where Does the Arsenic in Rice, Mushrooms, & Wine Come From?
- The Effects of Too Much Arsenic in the Diet
- Cancer Risk from Arsenic in Rice & Seaweed
- Which Rice Has Less Arsenic: Black, Brown, Red, White, or Wild?
- Which Brands & Sources of Rice Have the Least Arsenic?
- How to Cook Rice to Lower Arsenic Levels
- Arsenic in Infant Rice Cereal
- Arsenic in Rice Milk, Rice Krispies, & Brown Rice Syrup
- How Risky is the Arsenic in Rice?
- How Much Arsenic in Rice is Too Much?
- Is White Rice a Yellow-Light or Red-Light Food?
- Do the Pros of Brown Rice Outweigh the Cons of Arsenic?