Cumin-Roasted Carrots with Chickpeas and Tomatoes
Enjoy these savory veggies as is, or serve over your favorite cooked whole grains or leafy greens. Roasting time depends on the size of your carrots-thinner carrots may be done in 20 to 25 minutes, while larger ones may take up to 45 minutes-so adjust accordingly.
- 1 pound carrots, multicolor if available, cut diagonally into 1½-inch pieces
- 1½ cups chickpeas, cooked or 1 (15-ounce ) BPA-free can or salt-free Tetra Pak
- Spritz of apple cider vinegar *
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Cooked whole grains or greens (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Spread the carrots and chickpeas in a single layer on the prepared pan. Spritz with apple cider vinegar and then sprinkle evenly with the cumin, coriander, and black pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, more or less, depending on the size of the carrots.
- Then, remove the pan from the oven and scatter the tomatoes over and around the carrots and chickpeas. Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast until the chickpeas are nearly crunchy and the carrots are tender and lightly charred, about 15 minutes more.
- Serve in shallow bowls or plates over cooked whole grains or greens (if using), and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.
*Keep a spray bottle handy with your favorite vinegar. Spritz vegetables before roasting to help spices adhere and to add a last-minute burst of flavor to salads and other dishes. I also give my air-popped popcorn a spritz or two so that nutritional yeast sticks on even better.