Garden Veggie Tempeh Scramble
This dish combines a variety of seasonings to add flavor to a traditional veggie scramble. The veggies in this recipe make for a beautiful rainbow display on your plate, and can be substituted for whatever you have on hand. Serve this at your next dinner party to show everyone how easy and tasty it is to get a hearty serving of veggies in a meal!
- 16 ounces tempeh
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-6 tablespoons water
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup bell pepper, any color, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup packed greens, chopped
- 2 avocados
- cilantro, basil, or parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Cut the tempeh into quarters and steam for about 5 minutes to remove some of the bitterness. Let the tempeh cool a bit before handling.
- Mix the nutritional yeast, crushed red pepper, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, cumin and oregano in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the miso, lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the onion, pepper, and carrots in 2-3 tablespoons of water until softened.
- Crumble tempeh with clean hands and add to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the seasoning mix and stir until well combined. Cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time, as needed, to keep the seasonings from sticking to the pan.
- Add the miso mixture and stir to combine. Finally, mix in the tomatoes and greens. Cook until the greens are softened.
- Serve the dish topped with avocado, herbs, and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice.