Garden Veggie Tempeh Scramble
This dish combines a variety of seasonings to add flavor to a traditional veggie scramble. The veggies in this recipe make for a beautiful rainbow display on your plate. Serve this at your next dinner party to show everyone how easy and tasty it is to get a hearty serving of veggies in a meal!
- 16 ounces tempeh
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-6 tablespoons water
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup bell pepper, any color, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup packed greens, chopped
- 2 avocados
- cilantro, basil, or parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Cut the tempeh into quarters and steam for about 5 minutes to remove some of the bitterness. Let the tempeh cool a bit before handling.
- Mix the nutritional yeast, crushed red pepper, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, cumin and oregano in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the miso, lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the onion, pepper, and carrots in 2-3 tablespoons of water until softened.
- Crumble tempeh with clean hands and add to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the seasoning mix and stir until well combined. Cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time, as needed, to keep the seasonings from sticking to the pan.
- Add the miso mixture and stir to combine. Finally, mix in the tomatoes and greens. Cook until the greens are softened.
- Serve the dish topped with avocado, herbs, and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice.