Work With Us: Employment Opportunities
Full-Time Remote Web Developer
The Web Developer at NutritionFacts.org is responsible for day-to-day technical tasks including web development, maintenance, and administration of the NutritionFacts.org website and related properties. The Web Developer is a full-time position and reports to the Chief Technology Officer. The Web Developer will assist in executing the technological vision for the organization and help to further the company’s technological development. The ideal Web Developer candidate is passionate about evidence-based nutrition and has demonstrated success in the following areas: front and back-end web development, including PHP development, experience with build and automation systems, experience with WordPress, and working with non-technical staff on technical issues.
NutritionFacts.org is a remote non-profit organization with a mission to improve public health by providing the latest evidence-based nutrition and health research in an accessible format, to enable the public to make informed dietary choices. NutritionFacts.org releases new videos and blogs weekly and shares other educational content daily — all free and available for public access. The founder, Michael Greger M.D., FACLM, is an internationally recognized speaker on nutrition, food safety, and public health issues and also a founding member and Fellow of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine and the New York Times Bestselling author of books such as How Not to Die and How Not to Diet. The rest of our small team is made up of passionate lifestyle medicine advocates that value outside the box thinking and testing new approaches to reaching more and more people with lifesaving nutrition information. As NutritionFacts.org is mostly represented as a website, this position is crucial to the success of the organization’s mission.
Role & Responsibilities
The Web Developer is a multi-disciplinary technologist with experience in developing themes, scripts, web applications, and working with the latest technologies, as part of our Technical Team, to deliver a best-in-class user experience. They have the passion to solve hard technical problems with innovative solutions. This is a remote position, so the ability to maintain a consistent work schedule and ethic while working independently is important.
Engineering & Design
- Reads, writes, and understands documentation
- Designs and develops bespoke themes, scripts, systems, and plugins
- Tests and evaluates code
- WordPress Development, Maintenance, and Updates (Sage, Trellis, Bedrock Stack)
- Works with legacy systems to update them to modern specifications
- Creates bespoke tools, as necessary, for staff to perform their jobs faster and easier
- Sets up and configures Development and Staging environments using Ansible and Vagrant
- Updates web page copy and images, as needed
- Troubleshoots bugs and issues across various organizational products
- PHP Development, including frameworks like Laravel
- HTML/CSS Development, including template languages, like Blade/Twig
- Works with build systems (Yarn/BabelJS)
- Shows proficiency with Composer
- Experience working with automation systems, like Ansible to quickly replicate environments
- Vagrant/Docker Development
- Google Apps Script Development
- Bot Development
- Bash Scripting
- Comfortable working with CLI-based tools
Working with Others
- Explains complex systems in easy-to-understand terms
- Designs, creates, and performs demonstrations and presentations, as needed
- Works with vendors to test, implement, and troubleshoot systems
- Responds to Zendesk tickets and work with users/donors to find a resolution
Please apply if you have:
- Superior written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of current trends
- Analyzes situations, evaluates alternatives, and implements solutions within standards, where applicable
- Acts as a resource to others to solve problems
- Exercises independent judgment. Work affords significant opportunity to act independently on assigned tasks
- Background in object-oriented programming and development
- Experience working collaboratively with development teams
- Successful track record collaborating across multiple technical and non-technical teams such as Marketing, Media, and Human Resources
NutritionFacts.org is not able to sponsor work visa applications, so applicants for full-time staff positions have to be U.S. citizens or otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States.
Please Note: This is a remote staff position. We are looking for an individual, not an agency, to fill this role.
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Salary: $55,000 – $75,000
Application Deadline: March 18th, 2021
Part-Time Remote Digital Marketing Assistant
The NutritionFacts.org Digital Marketing Assistant is responsible for assisting the Digital Outreach Director with the execution and optimization of digital marketing campaigns across multiple channels. This is a part-time position with an estimated work week of 20 hours.
Specific responsibilities include reviewing current digital advertising campaigns to seek areas of improvement, building new advertising campaigns in line with the goals of NutritionFacts.org’s strategic plan goals and industry best practice, and assisting with the execution of SEO-related strategies.
The ideal Digital Marketing Assistant thinks creatively and strategically to optimize and execute digital outreach efforts, follows through on deadlines, and maintains effective communication.
The Digital Marketing Assistant:
- Seeks areas of improvement on existing digital advertising platforms (primarily Google Ads and Facebook Ads)
- Executes new strategies for digital advertising campaigns
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new features and best practice of relevant platforms
- Assists with the execution of SEO strategies
Please apply if you:
- Have at least one year of experience with building and optimizing Google Ads campaigns
- Have experience with Facebook advertising
- Have a track record of managing PPC accounts with a monthly budget of at least $20,000
- Have experience using Google Analytics
- Have a good understanding of SEO
- Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Are interested in the flexibility of remote work
- Are interested in a part-time position requiring 20 hours per week
NutritionFacts.org is not able to sponsor work visa applications, so applicants for staff positions have to be U.S. citizens or otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States.
Reports to: Digital Outreach Director
Salary: $35/hour, estimated 20 hours per week
Application Deadline: March 18th, 2021
Nutritionfacts.org strives to offer competitive nonprofit salaries and health benefits (beyond just the kale health plan :). Unfortunately, NutritionFacts.org is not able to sponsor work visa applications, so applicants for full-time staff positions have to be U.S. citizens or otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States. NutritionFacts.org is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.