Black Bean Burgers
There can never be enough ways to get beans into your daily meals. This is one of the best. Serve on toasted 100% whole-grain bread with all the fixings. These burgers freeze well, so consider doubling the recipe so you’ll have them ready for just-thaw-and-indulge moments.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 1/4 inch piece fresh turmeric (or ¼ teaspoon ground) grated
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/3 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cooked or 1 15-ounce BPA-free can or Tetra Pak salt-free black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Savory Spice Blend
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Pulse the oats, walnuts, and turmeric in a food processor until they are finely ground. Add the onion, mushrooms, beans, tahini, and flaxseeds and pulse until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to mix well.
- Pinch some of the mixture between your thumb and index finger to test whether it holds together. If the mixture is too wet, add more oats. If the mixture is too dry, add a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Transfer the mixture to a work surface and divide into four equal portions. Shape each into a patty about ½-inch thick and transfer to a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper and arrange the burgers on it. Bake until hot and lightly browned, turning once, about 25 minutes. Serve hot, as desired.
Savory Spice Blend recipe here.