Here's a tasty Daily Dozen inspired meal! Serve the Chakalaka (a South African vegetable and bean dish) over roasted sweet potatoes, cooked whole grains (such a quinoa, hulled barley, or oat groats), or part of a bowl-style meal. Save any leftovers for meals throughout the week.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼-1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (15 oz) can diced or crushed tomatoes, BPA-free and salt-free
- 2 tablespoons salt-free tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 grated carrot
- 4 cups diced cabbage
- 1 medium diced green pepper
- 1 medium diced red pepper
- 1½ cups cannellini beans, cooked or 1 (15-ounce ) BPA-free can, drained and rinsed
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 small minced chili (optional)
- Cooked Sweet potatoes
- Dice the onion and sauté with a splash of water until translucent. Add more water, as needed.
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander, thyme, paprika, and cayenne. Stir for a minute. Then add the crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, miso, carrot, cabbage, peppers.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Add the beans, black pepper, nutritional yeast, and minced chili. Stir through and serve warm with cooked sweet potatoes.