This is a healthful take on a traditional Mexican drink that is very popular during Day of the Dead (around Halloween) and at Las Posadas (during the holiday season).Natural unsweetened cocoa powder can be considered a health food. Cocoa powder has been found to improve artery function.
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 4 teaspoons homemade Date Syrup
- In a pot, bring the water to a boil, add the cinnamon sticks, and cook them on high heat.
- Add the oats and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the oats start to soften.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy milk, cocoa or cacao powder, and Date Syrup until well blended. Add the mixture to the oats and stir together.
- Cook for about 3 minutes. Add more soy milk, as needed, to reach the desired consistency. Serve hot.
Date Syrup recipe is here.