Sweet Potato Mac N' Cheese
This easy, plant-based Sweet Potato Mac ’n Cheese is made with delicious, nutritious ingredients and spotlights roasted sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are among the healthiest common whole-food sources of potassium, which every cell in our body requires to function. Fewer than 2 percent of Americans achieve even the recommended minimum intake of potassium, due primarily to inadequate intake of plant foods. We need 4,700 mg of potassium a day. Feeling creative? Add even more vegetables to this dish and top it with additional salt-free spices, to taste. If you’re looking to add more beans to your diet, use a legume-based pasta or add some cooked tofu or tempeh.
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped (about 2 cups or 480 ml)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 8 oz 100% whole-grain pasta, cooked
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- Roast the sweet potato and garlic at 400°F (205°C) for 25 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the roasted sweet potato, roasted garlic, soy milk, and nutritional yeast and process until smooth.
- In a saucepan, pour the sweet potato sauce over cooked pasta. Cook on medium heat until the sauce is warm.
- Stir in the cooked broccoli or serve it on the side.