Light Vegetable Broth
Use this light, all-purpose, salt-free broth in any recipe calling for any kind of broth. Properly stored, the broth will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Servings: 6 cups
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cored and halved
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (2-inch) piece of kombu (dried sea vegetable) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh, coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- Dr. Greger’s Special Spice Blend*
- In a large pot, heat 1 cup of water over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms, kombu (if using), parsley, bay leaves, and black pepper. Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly, then remove and discard the kombu, if used. Transfer the broth to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Strain the blended broth through a fine-mesh sieve back into the pot or a large bowl, pressing the vegetables against the sieve to release their juices. Ladle about 1⁄3 cup of the broth into a small bowl or cup. Add the miso paste and Dr. Greger’s Special Spice Blend to taste and stir well before incorporating back into the broth.
- Let the broth cool to room temperature before dividing into containers with tight-sealing lids and storing in the refrigerator or freezer.
Savory Spice blend is here.