Veggie Mac & Cheese
A cruciferous spin on macaroni and cheese, this recipe takes comfort food to a whole new level, and is a tasty way to check off a few servings on the Daily Dozen checklist. This recipe comes from Kristina, our Director of Nutrition & Social Media Strategy.
- 8 oz 100% whole grain or bean pasta
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- black pepper to taste
- Nutty Parm optional
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package, then set aside.
- Sauté the kale, tomatoes, broccoli until lightly cooked. Use 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time if needed to keep the veggies from sticking to the pan.
- In a blender, combine the water, cashews, nutritional yeast, turmeric, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and miso paste. Blend until smooth.
- Add the veggies to the pot with the pasta. Pour over the cashew sauce, and stir. Cook the dish lightly until the sauce warms up, then serve.
Feel free to add crushed red pepper or other herbs and spices you enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?Mention @nutrition_facts_org or tag #DailyDozenRecipes!