Although this dish is in the breakfast section, grated cauliflower and mashed chickpeas combine to make a hearty and delicious scramble that’s good any time of day. Top it with Fresh Tomato Salsa or Salt-Free Hot Sauce for extra oomph.
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups grated cauliflower
- 8 ounces mushrooms of your choice, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Savory Spice Blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 cup cooked or 1 (15-ounce) BPA-free can or Tetra Pak salt-free chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Heat 1⁄4 cup of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, then cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cauliflower, then cover and cook, stirring occasion- ally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, nutritional yeast, Dr. Greger’s Special Spice Blend, and turmeric. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. While the veggies are cooking, mash the chickpeas and add them to the skillet. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and any liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes longer. Top with the parsley and any optional topping you prefer (see head- note), and serve hot.