Three-Bean Soup with Turmeric and Lentils
Turmeric casts a gorgeous golden glow on this hearty soup featuring lentils and three kindsof beans.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup dried brown lentils
- 7 cups Light Vegetable Broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked or 1 (15-ounce) BPA- free can or Tetra Pak salt-free dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked or 1 (15-ounce) BPA-free can or Tetra Pak salt-free chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked or 1 (15-ounce) BPA-free can or Tetra Pak salt-free cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Super-Charged Spice Blend
- Heat 1⁄4 cup of water in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, to soften. Stir in the turmeric, coriander, cumin, and lentils. Add the Light Vegetable Broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add the kidney beans, chickpeas, and cannellini beans. Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Add the spinach, parsley, scallions, mint, black pepper, and Super-Charged Spice Blend to taste and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.